Organised Thoughts -- Never
Friday, April 06, 2007
Organising Organisers

Over the years I've used various organisers to support my professional activities. Anything from a simple vest-pocket diary, a Psion Series 3 PDA, Lotus Organiser, other larger diaries (A3 or A5 sized), commercial organisers, Google (GMail, Calendar, Docs), and even iCal.

None of these systems is ideal. All have limitations. For example, bog-standard diaries, provided by employers, have always proved inadequate for my requirements. Week-to-a-page formats never provides enough space for the complex timetable of being a professional. Few, if any, have times printed on them. So regular meetings usually end up being noted in different places on different days. Day-to-a-page layout is better but there is no where to write background material linked to the meetings I'm scheduled to attend. Of course, I can use a common-place book for those notes but the notebook and diary end up in different bags, rooms, trains, ... plus a reasonable sized notebook is heavy.

Then there's the page size. How am I supposed to track my business commitments with a diary no bigger than my mobile phone. My handwriting is illegible at the best of times. If cramped onto the small pages of a vest-pocket diary then I might as well not bother (and I don't).

I hear you asking why I am not using the Psion or the Palm. Well the Psion is now very old. Already been in for repair once to replace wires in the hinge that had broken as the case was opened. Also the hinge broke and the case had to be replaced. Now the hinge has broken again. The Palm is a nice device; I have one of the colour ones. But the Graffiti system defeats me. I can't use it for more than noting an appointment. And yes I have the foldout keyboard. Nice but impracical when commuting to work by train as I do.

So I'm back using a paper-based organiser. At the moment it is stuffed full with a refill from one of the many organiser manufacturers.

 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

ARCHIVES
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / April 2007 / May 2011 / September 2011 / April 2012 /


Powered by Blogger